Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thoughts about Tattoos

In these current times tattoos are very popular and 'stylish' for both men and women. There are bad aspects and perhaps a few benefits (which I seriously doubt) about these tattoos. Today, I am going to discuss some of the things one should consider about before getting a tattoo. Personally, I would never get one, so therefore I shouldn't be at all concerned about this, right? Wrong. I have two kids who have yet to fully develop their opinions on various topics such as this and I can't help, but constantly think about it. I am not trying to impose my views on anyone, but I would like to share the following list of possible consequences which tattoos can bring about:
- Risk of infections, diseases, excessive bleeding
- The inks and dyes used to produce the tattoo could cause redness, allergic reactions, psoriasis, etc.
- Tattoos could prevent one from getting certain jobs
- Tattoos are permanent. What if we decide we no longer like/want them at some point in our life?
- "Removal" requires a surgical procedure which is painful, costly, carries its own risk of complications, and isn't always effective.

I once heard that "Having one [a tattoo] doesn't make you a criminal, but all criminals have one" and I agree. I know that a lot of people like them and would be willing argue with me on this opinion and maybe even create a longer list of 'benefits' that tattoos offer. Although I respect their opinion, I am thinking of young people (my daughter's age) who often make the rash decision to get a tattoo just because their friends did. They might consider it cool, fancy, or just a way of expressing themselves. However, they should think twice before going through with something of this sort, as they may regret it later in life.


DID YOU KNOW?

Some people who have tattoos cannot have MRI tests because of the metal fibers contained in some inks used for tattoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment