Thursday, February 26, 2009

Herbs and Vitamins






In our developed society people are constantly trying to adopt a healthy life style. Every day numerous dietary supplements with herbs and vitamins are being advertised. All of these products claim to help a wide range of medical conditions and diseases. Is it true? How safe are these products really? I find myself easily influenced by such commercials. I remember asking my daughter's doctor (when she was a baby) what kind of vitamins I should give her in order to keep her in good health. The answer was that there was absolutely no need of any additional supplements in the form of vitamins and that kids are able to obtain all the vitamins they need from a well balanced diet. Although I knew this was true it was a bit of a "disappointment" because I, as any other parent, want to do all I can to help my children.




We always start with good intention, but could the use of herbs and vitamins actually hurt us? Could it be a double-edged sword? We mustn't forget that the herbs contain drugs that could be dangerous, especially for ill people taking prescribed or over-the-counter medicine. All of these chemicals could combine with one another and form an undesired outcome.

Without a doubt, small doses of herbs can be beneficial, but high quantities of any herbs have the power to cause irreversible organ damages. It sounds scary, but I have read stories of people self-medicating themselves with no supervision and developing very serious and even life-threatening diseases.

It is no surprise that the FDA warns consumers, especially those with health issues, to avoid certain herbal products. This is ironic because people who to take good care of themselves and try to prolong their life could actually be getting the opposite effect by taking vitamins.

What I'm trying to say is that we have to be cautious when we use vitamins and herbs. We have to remember that herbs, are drugs and just because they're "natural" doesn't automatically mean they're safe. We must always consult with our doctors before using vitamins and herbal remedies and we have to be wise and educated consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment