Thursday, February 12, 2009

Lord of the Dance

Last Sunday (Feb. 8th, 09) my husband, my son, and I went to my daughter's band concert at Central High School which is something we always enjoy. After she performed, another group was scheduled to play and we were going to stay and listen to them. However, I noticed that my husband, Boris, was becoming very anxious, frequently checking his watch. Suddenly he said, "Let's go". We all wondered where he meant we should go. At this point he informed us that "Lord of the Dance", a traveling Irish dancing group, was going to perform at the La Crosse Center at 3:00 p.m. I mumbled that we have homework to do and that we have to study for an upcoming exam, but ultimately the decision was made...




We had about an hour before the show started so we left before the other group had started playing and went straight to the La Crosse Center. The seats we got weren't close to the stage, but they were right across from it so we had a good view. I knew that the dancers performed Irish dance all over the world, but that was the extent of my knowledge on this subject. Therefore, I was excited and impatient for the show to start. Finally, it began. Right away, it caught my attention and left me speechless and breathless. I can't find the words to describe it, for such words do not exist, but I will do my best. It was a faerie of dance, Irish music (both traditional and modern), songs and violin performances. In addition, the costumes they wore were remarkable and the lights show accentuated them. They were able to communicate an ageless story of good vs. evil by means of these effects and mainly, by dancing. Everybody danced as one and although they made it look effortless I couldn't help but wonder how much time and work was put into this. Furthermore, one of the most impressive parts was (although it was hard to realize this immediately) when the music stopped and the only rhythm we heard was escaping from underneath the dancers' feet as they made their way across the stage. The whole performance was fascinating and enveloped the audience in its magic. Toward the end it was impossible to miss the positive energy emitting from everyone in the arena.




At the end of the show, I didn't regret the time or money spent - it was worth every penny. My whole family fell in love with it and left in a good mood. We would go see it again if such an opportunity presented itself. It is something I would recommend to all of you, it is truly astonishing.





DID YOU KNOW: I later found out that this show, created by the talented Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, has been seen by over 50 million people in 40 different countries.




Click here for a video of a "Lord of the Dance" performance:




1 comment:

  1. I saw "Riverdance", another Irish dance company, in Boston about 10 years ago. Perhaps it is because I am 100% Irish, but I love Irish step dance. I'm glad you enjoyed the show, I'll bet it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete