Thursday, January 29, 2009

About Me

Hello everyone! Welcome to my blog! I'm Dilyana and I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read my page.

I currently live in La Crosse, but I am originally from Bulgaria. I came to the USA five years ago not knowing much English. At that time, the idea of how difficult it would be for me to express myself in a different language had never crossed my mind. The transition took me a while, but I am happy to say that everything is going smoothly for me and my family. I am here with my husband Boris and our two kids Adelina (15) and Mihail (10).

Coming Here...

By moving to the United States I left behind not only my country, but also my parents, friends, career (I was an elementary school teacher). Some of my old habits changed, but I gained the opportunity to explore another world and its culture. I love it here, in my new country, although I have not forgotten Bulgaria. My kids adjusted very quickly to their life here, which is very important for me as a parent. I am convinced that the public schools in this area provide a good education for them. The atmosphere in La Crosse is friendly and it is a good place to raise kids.

My story may be different than yours, we are all unique, but still, I am an ordinary person with ordinary interests. I love to read, watch movies, and travel. During the past five years my family and I have tried to explore the US whenever we get the chance. Also, I like to spend time outside with my friends and family. My favorite season is the spring. Sometimes, when it is very cold (like today), I dream about the nice weather spring has to offer, trying to convince myself that this is a good time for some studying/homework to get done.

I try not to complain about my school-related duties because I knew at the very beginning that by coming to the USA I would have to start many things all over. I will not deny that sometimes, while driving past the building of UW-L, Viterbo, and WTC I asked myself, "Am I going to have the courage to come here as a student?" This was not because I don't like school, but rather because I saw language as a great barrier. I know that nothing will help me to improve my English as much as the communication in school and class assignments such as this. I like being here and meeting young, knowledgeable, and interesting people. I also like the concept of exchanging thoughts, ideas, and opinions via this blog. I know this course will meet and exceed my expectations.

I haven't yet decided what topics I will be covering in my blog, but I'll keep thinking. One idea I came up with is to present Bulgaria -- its geographical and historical aspects, traditions, people, etc. Please let me know if you would be interested in hearing about it!

Thank you!
See you at school!

Here are some pictures of my kids...

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dilyana. I'm surprised at how good your english is, since you've only been in the U.S.A for 5 years. You are a quick learner. I don't think I could go to another country and learn their language that fast! By the way, where is Bulgaria located? Is it in Europe? What made your family and yourself decide to come to the U.S.?

    I think you will succeed in everything you do. You made it this far already right?

    ReplyDelete